Herniated disc is most often the result of heavy lifting, minor strain, or twist. The patient may experience pain in the lower back, radiating down the back of one leg. This affects patient’s everyday life. Microendoscopic discectomy is one of minimally invasive surgical treatment for this condition.
What is microendoscopic discectomy?
Microscopic discectomy/foraminotomy can be performed using a tubular retractor. This technique involves progressive dilation of the soft tissues, as opposed to cutting directly through the muscles. By using tubes to keep the muscles out of the way, the surgeon can work through the incision without having to expose the area widely. The incision is only 1.5-2 centimeters. This procedure requires high level of expertise of the surgeon and state of the art surgical instruments.
Indications for surgery
- Motor weakness or sensory deficit in the lower extremities
- Severe pain that markedly diminished quality of life
Candidates for microendoscopic discectomy
- Patients with herniated disc
- Patients with spinal stenosis caused by degenerative changes of spine, joint segment, and spinal disc
Advantages of microendoscopic discectomy
- No muscle cutting
- Less damage to spine
- Less pain and surgical time
- Smaller surgical wound, shorter recovery time
- No heavy lifting and strenuous activities for 2 weeks.
- 4 weeks after the surgery, you should perform exercise that strengthen back muscles.
Bangkok Spine Academy at Bangkok hospital focuses on providing high quality services and compassionate patient care. Treatment is tailored to the specific needs of each individual patient and always starts with the most conservative and gentle approaches possible. Microendoscopic discectomy is one of the treatment options for patients who need surgical treatment.
Bangkok Spine Academy provides holistic care with an international standard from JCI (Joint Commission International), aiming to reduce unnecessary surgery in order to achieve maximum benefits for patients. Our goal is to help you get back to doing the things you enjoy by providing you the best treatment available.